Autumn is closing in and it’s important not to neglect your skin as a combination of harsh weather, central heating and lack of sunshine could be on the agenda! Don’t despair, here are some skincare tips you need to get you through until spring.
Eat healthily, exercise regularly, sleep for 8 hrs a day, drink lots of water, don’t smoke!
Smooth skin (body)
– Weekly Epsom baths will soften and detox your skin.
-Run your razor under a piping hot tap between each use for a smoother shave.
– Body brush daily; use a dry body brush and always brush towards the heart.
– Massage your skin (particularly upper thighs) whenever you have time; it will tone your skin and dramatically improve the appearance of cellulite. For best results use your favourite moisturiser. We recommend Vichy Lipometric, Revitol Cellulite Cream or the more affordable but surprisingly effective ‘Goodbye Cellulite’ by Nivea.
– Moisturize; this is most effective when you have just had a bath or shower. Apply your moisturizer liberally. For best results finish with a layer of oil, preferably with a high vitamin E content, to lock in the moisture, then wrap up warm so it can penetrate the skin.
Clear skin (face)
– Aim to sleep for a minimum of eight hours a day.
– Always remove make up before going to bed.
– Weekly Manuka honey masks will heal your skin.
– Keep your skin hydrated; this is so important, even if you have oily skin.
– Wash your skin twice a day, morning and night with warm water to open the pores. Rinse with cold water afterwards to close the clean pores.
– Keep your hands/hair off your face and always wash your hands before applying make-up.
– Don’t pick pimples. If you feel you need extractions done, go to a professional therapist regularly. A monthly facial treatment is a great idea if you can afford it and it will cost you less than a round of drinks!
– Use skincare products that contain salicyclic acid (also known as beta hydroxy acid) unless you are pregnant or allergic to aspirin.
– Use skincare products that contain glycolic acid (also known as AHA or alpha hydroxy acid) – unless you are pregnant.
– Exfoliate at least once a week.
– Always use a day cream with a minimum SPF of 15 and wear sunglasses if the sky is clear. Yes…even if it’s cold!
– Reduce stress by making time for yourself. This will really make a difference to your appearance. Yoga is a fantastic way to stay looking as serene as possible.
– Sleep on a silky pillow; your face will slide around on the fabric rather than creasing. Better still, sleep on your back.
– Find a good night serum and cream that suit your skin and use them religiously. We recommend Boots ‘Protect and Perfect’, Dr Lewinns ‘Line Smoothing’ range, Dermalogica ‘Age Smart’ range and Creme De La Mer products – but take time to find what suits your skin best, and don’t be afraid to ask for samples!
– Hydroxy acids are also effective against wrinkles, as is palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, according to current research. Boots’ own brand of anti-aging serum and creams contains palmitoyl pentapeptide-3 and retinol, and it caused a stampede when it was proven to be effective when tested on the BBC’s Horizon programme in 2007. It isn’t the only skincare product to contain these ‘magical ingredients’ but it is reasonably priced and will improve the appearance of aging skin.